Creating Art that speaks to the soul


Sunday 10 March 2019

Working on 'Chipper'... a new Pet Portrait Commission!

Hello lovely people!!

How's the weather where you all are? It's been a bit hot and sticky here on my island... which is quite unusual. It's the first time I have experienced this kind of weather since we moved here over 18 months ago. I'm told it's not really normal... it gets hot but not so much humid. The humidity was the main reason I wanted to leave Rockhampton. It was the worst of the worst there but these things happen and if this is as humid as it's going to get and only from time to time, I really have nothing to complain about. :)

Anyway, enough of the weather. I wanted to share with you what I'm currently working on. I have a few projects on the go...  3 large watercolour paintings  (a tiger, a turtle and a pretty little bird), a large pet portrait commission of three dogs, a hummingbird commission and a pet portrait of the most adorable little Yorkie, Chipper! I am able to share some progress photos of Chipper at the moment, so I thought I'd put them up here for you. This commission has been very much a challenge... mainly because of the red blanket background. I don't normally do backgrounds for my pet portraits and this one is made a little harder being that he is kind of peeking out of the blanket. I had to make it look like he was inside the background rather than just have a background around him. It was touch and go there for a while... all watercolours... in fact most paintings period, go through an ugly duckling stage. This one took a lot longer to get through it and I wasn't sure I was getting anywhere good for a while. I persevered and I'm so glad I did. All of a sudden I could see it heading in the right direction!!  My takeaway from all this is .... hang in there, keep going and 9 times out of 10 it will work. I learned many more lessons from this painting but I'll try to talk on them at a later date.

Well I better go... heading away for 2 weeks and I have so much to pack because all my paintings are coming with me. I'll be back soon with more updates on Chipper as well as some progress shots of my other projects.
Hugs and blessings to you all!
Julie XXX
Starting out!
Chipper is starting to take form!
Reference Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment